Jason is a partner in the firm’s Insurance Group.
As an insurance coverage and defence litigator, he regularly distills and troubleshoots complex insurance issues.
Always prepared to litigate, Jason has appeared as lead counsel for large insurance carriers before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and Ontario Court of Appeal. He has provided hundreds of insurance coverage opinions in respect of all types of policies including directors and officers, commercial general liability, property, errors and omissions, manuscript forms and automobile insurance and reinsurance (facultative and treaty). He also has experience drafting policy language.
Jason’s civil litigation practice includes cases involving broker’s negligence, bad faith litigation, product liability, occupier liability, property damage, professional errors and omissions.
Reported and unreported decisions include:
- Georgian Downs Limited v. State Farm Fire and Casualty Company, 2013 ONSC 2110 (Ont. S.C.J.)
- Intact Insurance Company v. Crazy Fingers Blues Café et al., Court File No.: 10-0980 (Ont. S.C.J.) (April 25, 2012)
- 699982 Ontario Ltd. et al. v. Intact Insurance Company, 2011 CarswellOnt 15756 (Court File No. CV-10-409536) affirmed by the Court of Appeal at 2012 ONCA 268 (Ont. C.A.)
- Wallace v. J. Rivington Associates Inc., 2011 ONSC 4481, 2011 CarswellOnt 7236 (Ont. S.C.J.)
- Chodowski v. Huntsville Professional Building Inc., 2010 ONSC 4897, 104 O.R. (3d) 73, 2010 CarswellOnt 6747 (Ont. S.C.J.)
Jason speaks, writes and tweets in relation to insurance coverage and litigation topics regularly: @jasonmangano.
- Co-authored, "The New Tort Relating to Invasion of Privacy", Risk Management Counsel (June, 2012)
- "Mysteries of the Defence Obligation: Selective Consideration of the Duty to Defend Principles", Canadian Defence Lawyers, Insurance Coverage Primer, Prying off the Lid: Looking into the Mysterious and Complex World of Insurance Coverage, Toronto, September 23, 2010
- Co-authored "Race to Courthouse: Resolution and Litigation of Complex Cross-Border Insurance Coverage Disputes and Bad Faith Claims", American Bar Association, 2011 ABA Annual Meeting (Toronto)
- Co-authored CGL Update a Review of Selective Issues Insurance Law Conference 2010 (Vancouver, B.C.), CLEBC Insurance Law Conference (September, 2010)
- Co-authored chapter entitled "Canada" in Getting the Deal Through - Insurance & Reinsurance 2010, (August 2010)
- Co-authored, Class Actions Insurance Coverage Implications, Canadian Defence Lawyers Conference (Toronto, O.N.), (May 2010)
- Authored, Pope & Talbot Ltd., I and II, Featured Article in Covered Events, Vol. 1, Issue 28, Defense Research Institute, (Jan 2010)
- Co-authored, Waiver of Tort: What is it and is There Coverage?, 27 Can. J. Ins. L., Vol. 1 (Jan. 2009)
- Co-authored chapter entitled "Canada" in Getting the Deal Through - Insurance & Reinsurance 2008, (May 2008)
- Co-authored, Coverage for an Invasion of a Right to Privacy, 26 Can. J. Ins. L., Vol. 26 (Nov. 2008)
- Co-authored, Insurance Coverage for Institutional Sexual Abuse: Understanding the Key Issues, Canadian Institute’s 7th Annual Conference on Litigating Insurance Coverage Disputes, (June, 2007)
- Co-authored, Protecting Your Organization: Insurance Coverage for Institutional Abuse Claims, Canadian Institute’s 7th Annual Conference on Managing Legal Risks and Responsibilities in Mental Health Care, (April, 2007)
- Co-authored, Special Risks - An Overview of Advertising Liability Coverage, Osgoode Professional Development National Update Law and Coverage Disputes, (Toronto: March, 2007)
- Co-authored, Colliding Galaxies - Cross Border Coverage Meets Conflict of Laws, DRI Insurance Coverage and Practice Symposium, (New York: December 2008)
- Co-authored, Canadian Section of Insurance Bad Faith: A Compendium of State Law, The DRI Defense Library Series