Emily Anne Maclean worked in a farmer’s market. On August 1, 2003, she placed eggs on a hot plate to boil in order to make them ready for the next day’s sandwiches. She got distracted in another part of the store. Upon smelling smoke, she returned to the hot plate only to find “full blown flames”. The farmer's market was destroyed and Ms. MacLean was sued in negligence by the market’s insurer. In dismissing this claim, the Court concluded:
Powerpoint slides from D. Barry Prentice's presentation, "The Risk and Rewards of Engaging 'Independent' Contractors," as part of the seminar Hiring & Firing: What You Need to Know in 2011, which took place November 10, 2011.
NOTE: The information and views expressed in this presentation are for information purposes only and are not intended to provide legal advice. For specific advice, please contact us.
This article was originally published in the January/February 2009 issue of Fair Exchange magazine. Re-printed from FE Magazine with permission of the Federation of Rental-housing Providers of Ontario (FRPO).
This article was originally published in the February 2009 (Vol.7, No.4) issue of Building Blocks magazine. Re-printed from Building Blocks Magazine with permission of the Greater Toronto Apartment Association (GTAA).