Blaney McMurtry LLP has an immediate opening for a senior lawyer with 10+ years of relevant experience to join its Intellectual Property Practice Group.
The successful candidate will perform the following duties:
- prepare and prosecute Canadian patent and industrial design applications with a focus on mechanical and electrical fields;
- communicate with clients and CIPO on matters including preparing, filing and prosecution of patent and industrial design applications;
- oversee maintenance of issued patents, including monitoring deadlines and overseeing payment of maintenance fees;
- provide patent infringement and validity opinions;
- manage deadlines and client requests.
The candidate must have a law degree and be a registered Canadian Patent Agent. Preference will be given to those who have a B.Eng. degree in mechanical or electrical engineering or several years of experience prosecuting patents in these areas. Likewise, candidates who have a portable practice are strongly encouraged to apply.
The candidate must have strong analytical, drafting and file management skills, be a team player willing to jump into the role that is needed in the circumstances and have the demonstrated ability to assume carriage of files and resolve issues independently. A superior work ethic, self-motivation and attention to detail are essential, as are exceptional research, practice management, negotiation and advocacy skills and client service abilities.
Interested candidates should apply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé to:
Neil Dennis, Director of Professional Development
We thank all candidates for their response but only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted. Blaney McMurtry is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.