John Wolf is the chairperson of Blaney McMurtry’s Tenancies subgroup, and a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee overseeing conflict of interest and premises issues. John’s practice focuses on real property related disputes, especially in a landlord and tenant context, and particularly with a litigation emphasis. John’s practice continues to include general commercial litigation which reflects his general civil litigation historical practice. John is a trusted business advisor and strategist to his clients.
John acts for a variety of sophisticated private and public corporations and entrepreneurs and has considerable expertise in:
- Commercial, industrial and office, landlord and tenant matters, especially with respect to: lease interpretation; lease default remedies including distaint and collection strategies; non-monetary defaults such as environmental contamination repair and restoration issues; and also advises in respect of rights and remedies in Bankruptcy and CCAA restructurings;
- Commercial contract interpretation and enforcement;
- Participation in settlement meetings, and mediations with a focus on creative interest based dispute resolution that meets the carefully analyzed business objectives of his clients.
John also works closely with a team of partners, associates, and law clerks to provide services to clients in the following areas:
- Lease, Sublease, and Assignment preparation;
- Negotiating and documenting lease amendments;
- Lease reviews in respect of due diligence, and the acquisition/financing of properties;
- Buying and selling commercial, industrial, and office properties;
- Employment and Labour law issues;
- Environmental law issues;
- Provincial offences issues;
- Construction liens;
- Insurance coverage and claims; and
- Intellectual property issues.
John’s practice has taken him to a variety of Courts and Tribunals including the Ontario Court of Appeal and opposing leave to appeal at the Supreme Court of Canada. He is also admitted to practice law as a solicitor in England and Wales, and is involved with alumnus of the University of London and especially the London School of Economics.
John is fortunate to be able to act for some of the most important and sophisticated real estate companies carrying on business in Ontario including:
- Bentall Kennedy (Canada)Limited Partnership and its related companies;
- First Capital Realty Inc. and its related companies;
- The St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation;
- Fishman Holdings North America Inc and related companies;
- GE Capital Real Estate;
- Deem Management Services Inc.; and
- a number of other corporate landlords and tenants.
In addition, John also acts for a variety of successful entrepreneurs, investors, and business people.
John’s principle source of new legal mandates are referrals by his existing clients.
Articles and Speaking Events
John has published and presented several papers directed at those in the real estate industry, and has authored articles including:
- "The Commercial Tenancies Act - What You May Not Know or Remember", presented at the Canadian Shopping Centre Law Conference of the International Council of Shopping Centres (ICSC), February 22, 2013
- "The Commercial Tenancies Act - What parties to a Commercial Lease Should Know About the Act", presented at the Canadian Shopping Centre Law Conference of the International Council of Shopping Centres (ICSC), February 24, 2010
- "Managing the Tenant Default Process", presented at the Canadian Shopping Centre Law Conference of the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), March 7, 2008
- "Acting For A Landlord In Conjunction With A Tenant Restructuring", presented at the Law Society of Upper Canada conference on Insolvency Law, March 31, 2005
- "Non Residential Landlords and Tenants: Toxic Mould Claims In Ontario", presented at The Canadian Institute Advanced Forum On Toxic Mould, April 28, 2005
- Building Owners Managers Association (BOMA) - guest speaker, May 2004 - Strategies for Failing Tenancies.
- "Oral Agreement to Amend Lease Unenforceable"
- "The Judicial Trend Towards Ignoring Entire Agreement and Independent Investigation Provisions in Rescinding Certain Types of Commercial Agreements"
John regularly participates in seminars, speaking events, and other training initiatives directed at the operations/property management employees of his landlord clients.
John has been invited to sit on the board of directors as an officer of a number of his clients, to provide trusted business advice.
- Appointed by the Town of Saugeen Shores to the Adhoc Waterfront Committee to prepare a ten year waterfront renewal plan, April 2011 to present
- Attended as an invited committee member of a committee formed pursuant to the requirements of the Police Services Act, to make recommendations in respect of the development of a 3 Year Business Plan (2011-2013) for the town of Saugeen Shores Police Service, October 27 and 30, 2010
- Director, Southampton Residents Association, 2010-present
- Director, PRANCE (Pegasus Riding Academy Nurturing Challenged Equestrians), 2005 to 2008
- Director, PRANCE (Pegasus Riding Academy Nurturing Challenged Equestrians) August 2005 to present
- Up until August 2007, John was the Secretary, Director and a member of the Executive and Finance Committees of the Asthma Society of Canada (and former Vice President, 2001 to 2005)
- John and his wife Margot have actively supported numerous charities and not for profit groups, including in particular the Centennial Infant Development Centre, the Canadian Cancer Society, the Salvation Army, and the Front Street Association
- John has always been committed to volunteering his time, business experience, and legal background to supporting deserving charities and individuals in need of and deserving pro bono help