In any restructuring or insolvency matter, time is always of the essence. We are recognized leaders in every aspect of commercial activity with expertise in both domestic and cross-border transactions and remedies. Our business reorganization and insolvency lawyers possess the experience and skills required to assess a situation quickly and the ability to identify available options. We have the resources and creativity to swiftly craft innovative, responsible and cost-effective solutions to the financial challenges faced by our clients.
Each member of our group has specific and unique skills. Collectively, they have a combination of legal and business insight that is not found in many law firms. Our legal team has advised on most significant Canadian and many other North American insolvencies in recent years including Livent, Philip Services Corp., Eatons, Euro United, Hurricane Hydrocarbons, Laidlaw, Cineplex-Odeon, Outboard Marine, Canada 3000, Veltri Metal Products, Stelco, Ivaco, Ottawa Senators, Reliance Insurance and Air Canada.
We represent publicly and privately traded companies of all sizes, financial institutions and lenders, bond holders, insurance and reinsurance companies, various levels of government, trustees, receivers, liquidators, creditors’ committees, debtors, directors and purchasers in a range of restructurings, reorganizations, bankruptcies and liquidations, both domestically and internationally.
With years of experience in corporate finance and lending, and a team of litigators active at every level of court in Ontario, our group offers a broad range of services, including:
Corporate Reorganizations and Restructurings
- advice on private and court supervised reorganizations and restructurings
- structuring workouts and proposals to creditors, local and cross-border
- advice on directors’ and shareholders’ responsibilities and liabilities
- tax advice and planning
- cutting edge experience in specialized fields such as e-commerce, intellectual property and environmental issues in the insolvency context
Enforcement of Creditors’ Rights
- advice on enforcement rights for secured and unsecured creditors
- setting aside fraudulent and preferential transactions
- receiverships (private and court appointed), liquidators and other court appointed administrators in the liquidation of entities of every size
- powers of sale, foreclosures and other personal property and mortgage remedies
- structuring and implementing all types of financing, including asset-based lending and debtor-in-possession financing
- advising and representing lenders and borrowers on financings of all types, including cross-border and multi-currency loans
Acquisitions and Divestitures
- negotiating and structuring sales by and purchases from trustees in bankruptcy, receivers and interim receivers